I’m often asked by other moms how to start a WordPress blog. I’m so excited there are other women like me that want to make a living blogging from home!
I truly believe blogging is the best hobby biz and creative outlet for moms. You’re able to:
- work from home while your children are sleeping
- travel whenever you want
- create a flexible schedule to do more of the things you love
- and make an income without ever leaving the house!
So if your goal is to one day make an extra $100 – $1000+ per month blogging you can totally do this! But don’t let all the techy stuff scare you.
Today’s painless tutorial is going to walk you through each step so you can have your blog up and running in just 10 minutes – without learning a single line of code!
The first step before you start a WordPress blog is knowing what you want to write about.
Before you go and purchase a domain name, first take a moment to examine your passions; things you like to do when no one else is around or topics you could talk about for hours.
It’s totally normal if this step takes you a little longer to figure out. It took me a year and a half but I wouldn’t advise spending longer than two weeks on this.
Like many moms, I had a lot of interests. The best advice I can give you is to choose one main topic. Then you can have multiple subtopics as long as it relates to your blog’s main topic.
How to Start A WordPress Blog Today for Under $100
If you’re looking to start a WordPress blog for cheap, then choosing Siteground for your hosting needs may be right for you. Siteground is a great web host and I personally use them for this blog!
Siteground is a reliable web hosting company and you can start your own blog for as low as $3.95 a month – which is cheaper than ordering coffee every day!
Why Should I Pay For Hosting When I Can Blog For Free?
I felt the same way when I started blogging. I had no idea how much it would cost to create a website.
Many new bloggers are tempted to use a free platform like WordPress.com or Blogger. But that’s a BIG no-no!
If you want to make real money using ads, freelancing services, products, and affiliate marketing, then choosing Siteground to host your blog is MUST!!
I cannot stress this enough.
Why Choose Siteground?
When I was searching for a reliable hosting company, I actually got started with Bluehost since it’s so highly recommended by other bloggers.
I really liked Bluehost, but the customer service was awful and my site would always have a hard time staying connected to their servers.
Now, I only recommend Siteground. I truly believe it’s the best web hosting provider for brand new bloggers. Here’s why:
- It’s super simple to use. Yes, ANY mom can create a WordPress blog easily with my tutorial below. Siteground makes it so easy to install WordPress automatically. But if that still scares you, just click the chat button to speak to Siteground’s Support Team and they will install WordPress for you!
- Did I mention Siteground has 24/7 FAST technical support? It’s why I love Siteground so much! ANYTHING you need they can handle it. No more on-hold time on the phone or on live chat.
- Siteground is EXTREMELY affordable. They have a hosting plan for every budget, so you can literally start your own blog for about $0.13 a day! Your only real start-up cost is your domain name and hosting service.
- WordPress through Siteground is 100% FREE. No hidden fees or extra costs.
- Siteground has 99.9% uptime. What does that mean for you? Reliable servers so you don’t break the internet when one of your posts goes viral!
- Peace of mind. Siteground has a 30-day money back guarantee if their services do not meet the expectations set out in the Terms of Service – you’re covered!
So now that I’ve convinced you to set up your blog on WordPress using Siteground, continue reading.
The first thing you’ll need to do is head over to Siteground right now so you can continue following along.
How to Get Started with Siteground
1. Choose Your Hosting Plan. The “StartUp” package is a good place to start for new blogs. It’s suitable for about 10,000 monthly blog visits and as your blog grows you can always switch to a different plan.
But if you have more room in your budget, you should definitely go with the “Grow Big” package to make room for more blog visitors, get premium features, more space, priority support, and more.
2. Register Your Domain Name. Here is where you can purchase a domain name for your blog or transfer an existing site for FREE! Choosing a name for your blog can be tough. I know I spent hundreds of dollars on domain names I never even used.
If you’re stuck on what to name your blog, just register your own name for now. Whatever you decide, remember to keep it simple, short, memorable, and congruent with your blog focus.
3. Buy Hosting For Your Blog. Starting a WordPress blog on Siteground is super easy. But let’s cover the costs of blogging:
- It’s only $3.95 to get started (due upfront for the first 12 months). It’s currently on sale for 60% OFF the regular price of $9.95 per month. I don’t know how much longer these prices will last so take advantage of it now!
- I suggest you sign up for at the 12-month plan so you won’t have to worry about a website expiring. Siteground has 12, 24, and 36-month hosting periods available.
- The other item you’ll want to pay for is Domain Privacy Protection, which is only $1 per month. This keeps your contact information safe from the public domain directory.
- That’s it! You won’t need to buy anything extra for your blog at this time.
So here’s a quick recap of what we’ve done so far:
- Go to Siteground and click the “Sign Up” button.
- Click on the hosting plan you are interested in.
- Enter the domain name you registered earlier, or sign up for a new domain name.
- You will be asked to enter a secure password for your account. This is very important.
- Enter your personal and payment information
- Complete your order!
4. Install WordPress on Siteground. This is where things get fun! Siteground makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog automatically and it is FREE. If you want to start a WordPress blog on Siteground, continue reading.
- When you first log into your account you want to be on the My Account Home Page and click the “cpanel” button.
- Once you’re inside your cpanel, scroll down to the AutoInstallers section and click the “WordPress” button.
- On the next page is where you will install WordPress on your domain name. Make sure the “Install” button is highlighted. Choose the “http://” protocol and then choose the domain name you registered or transferred! For this tutorial, I am installing WordPress on a subdomain. 🙂
- Continue on this page to enter your site settings, admin username, email address, and a strong password. You will use these settings to log into your WordPress blog dashboard later. Once you complete these fields you can go ahead and click the “install”.
- Log into your Admin Dashboard.
WOO-HOO!! You officially have a WordPress blog. I told you this would be super easy. 😉
So what are your blogging goals? What topics do you plan to write about? Drop a comment below.