So you’re a Starbucks junkie, eh? Me too. There’s just something about making a Starbucks run that energizes you.
And when you take that first sip, for a second there it’s just you and your coffee.
Nothing. else. matters.
I’ll be the first to admit I have a coffee problem. With a newborn, two toddlers, and a second-grader in the house, who can blame me?
But we all know Starbucks isn’t cheap. I try my best not to make it a habit to buy Starbucks every day because I’d easily spend over $4 each trip (which isn’t in the budget).
So for all you moms out there who can’t kick your coffee habit, but want to save money at Starbucks, today you’ll discover my favorite Starbucks hacks that do just that!
Related Tip: 5 Time-Saving Grocery Hacks You Need to Know About
11 Starbucks Hacks You’ll Wish You Knew Sooner
1. BRING YOUR OWN CUP
Many people don’t know that if you bring your own reusable cup, mug, or travel tumbler into Starbucks, you’ll save 10 cents on the price of your drink! It may not seem like a lot, but every little bit helps.
2. USE DISCOUNTED GIFT CARDS
Until recently, I had no idea such a thing even existed. My favorite place to find used/discounted gift cards online is at Cardpool. I’ve found hundreds of Starbucks gift cards at up to 11.5% OFF!
What a genius way to splurge at Starbucks without actually paying full price!
3. GET THE STARBUCKS APP
Starbucks has a rewards program for frequent customers. So if you spend a lot of money at Starbucks, having a registered card will score you free food and drinks, yay!
Plus, with the Starbucks Mobile app, you can order ahead and pay by phone – which is super convenient!
Here’s what you get with the rewards program:
Green Level (attained when you sign up)
- Free refills on hot or iced brewed coffee, cold brew, or hot or iced tea in stores
- Special member offers by email
- Access to exclusive offers and events just for members
- Balance protection for your Card if it is lost or stolen
Gold Level (attained once you have earned 300 Stars in 12 months)
- All Green Level benefits
- Free Reward every time you earn 125 Stars
- Monthly Double Star Days: one day each month when you can earn Double-Stars on all qualifying in-store purchases
- A personalized Gold Card
4. GET CREATIVE
I used to always order lattes and mochas, yet there are so many other options well under $4! My new favorite is ordering drip coffee with (vanilla) syrup.
You can also order an iced coffee, or a triple espresso over ice in a Venti cup to score yourself a cheaper iced latte – and just fill your cup with milk at the condiment area for free!
5. REFILL FOR 50 CENTS? Yes, Please!
Because sometimes one cup just won’t make it past the parking lot, and that’s okay! You can get a refill on brewed coffee for just 50 cents during the same visit – even if your original drink was not a hot coffee, iced coffee, hot tea, or iced tea.
6. ASK FOR A CUP OF WATER
You’ll never have to reach for a bottled water at Starbucks again. Ice and tap water in Starbucks is already triple-filtered, plus it’s FREE!
7. GO TO STARBUCKS ON YOUR BIRTHDAY
When you’re a Starbucks rewards member (which is free to join), you’re entitled to almost anything in the store on your birthday! But if you forget to stop in, you’ve got 30 days after your birthday to redeem your reward.
8. BREW IT AT HOME
When you really want to save money (and gas), you can buy coffee beans at Starbucks or grocery stores to be your own barista at home! Sure it’s not the same as ordering in store, but you can find recipes online that show you how to make it taste just as great!
9. ASK FOR LIGHT ICE
It may seem like common sense, but many people don’t realize all that ice baristas put in your cup don’t leave much room for your drink – which is what you’re paying for. So you should always ask for light ice to avoid being robbed.
10. DON’T USE THE DRIVE-THRU
Any time you place your order at the drive-thru, baristas have to charge you for the add-ons or extras. But if you order inside, most of them will happily add extras for free!
11. ORDER A SHORT
Yes, there’s even a smaller size than a “tall,” which is called a “short”. It’s 8 fl. oz. and it’s also cheaper than a “tall”- but you’ll have to ask for it because it’s not on the menu.
So I hope these little-known hacks help you to save money the next time you’re in Starbucks.
Just remember to get creative, order off the menu, pay with discounted gift cards, or bring your own cup so you can satisfy your coffee craving for less.
If you’re new to my blog, I’m all about helping your family save more money in your everyday life. So I want to share a roundup of my favorite products and services I highly recommend to help start today!
- Sign up for free websites like Ebates that give you CASH BACK just for spending like you normally would online. This service is 100% FREE! Plus, when you sign up through my link, you’ll get a free $10 bonus gift card!
- Check your credit score for free with CreditSesame. In just minutes you’ll be able to see your full credit report without impacting your score. This is the first step towards getting out of debt (and you’ll be glad you did)! You can sign up to see your free credit score here.
- Cut your TV bill. You can buy an HD antenna (this is the one we use) to get FREE local channels! We also subscribe to Hulu Live TV – we watch live sports, news, entertainment, and more (plus Hulu’s entire streaming library) all for just $39/month.
- Spend less on food. I recently joined the $5 Meal Plan to help me cook more meals at home so we’re not always eating out. You’ll get personalized meal plans right in your inbox each week that are cheap & easy to make! (Plus you can try it FREE for two whole weeks!) We’ve been able to cut our grocery bill in half and I can’t tell you how happy I am that I don’t have to sit around thinking of dinner ideas anymore!
- Lower your cell phone bill. We were paying over $150 for their cell phone plan, so we made the switch from Sprint to MetroPCS and it saved us over $100. But there are other cell phone companies like Republic Wireless that have plans starting at just $15/month!!! YES, $15! (You can even keep your cell phone and your phone number too!) I haven’t used them personally, but I know plenty of friends and family who have for years without any issues.
- Use coupons. I am NOT one of those coupon hoarders, but I do love saving money on groceries with the Ibotta app. All you have to do is upload a picture of your receipts and they give you CASH BACK on your grocery items! You can sign up for free and get a $10 Bonus!
SHARE THIS WITH YOUR FRIENDS 🙂