The benefit of being able to stay at home and care for our kids is amazing. But living on one income is hard.
Am I right, mamas?!
Sometimes you just want money to go to the movies, take the kids to the zoo, or even have a kid-free date night with your husband.
But more than that, I know that you hate that you can’t help pay the bills.
When my husband suddenly lost his job – our ONLY income source – we almost lost everything. So I started googling ideas for stay at home moms to make money.
Learning how to make money from home helped us get caught up on monthly bills faster and relieve a lot of financial stress – that’s what I want for you too, momma!
That way, you can still be a mom and earn an income right at home!
Whether you have an extra hour or 10 hours a week, consider this list of money-making ideas to try this year.
Related: 30 Items to Sell to Make Money Fast
21 Ideas for Stay At Home Moms to Make Money (During Naptime!)
1. Start a blog
Starting a blog is not as difficult as you think. You don’t have to be super techy either! I know many stay home moms that earn enough income from their blog to support their whole family!
So I created a simple tutorial that shows you how to start a blog of your own for cheap, starting at only $3.95 per month! (Plus you’ll get a FREE website domain—a $15 value!)
2. Become a virtual assistant
Small business owners often need help with managing social media accounts, answering emails, scheduling appointments, and more. So if you’re detailed-oriented and great at meeting deadlines, then becoming a virtual assistant may be perfect for you!
You’ll get paid to complete virtual tasks, many times as an independent contractor.
3. Answer surveys
You get paid to share your opinion or test out products!
These survey companies are free to use and join, so it doesn’t hurt to sign up for as many as you can.
4. Become a freelance writer
You can write content for blogs, websites, magazines, and more. My favorite place to find freelance writing gigs is Upwork.com.
5. Create a course and teach others
Online courses are extremely popular right now. Websites like Udemy make it super easy to get started and will get your course in front of a large market.
6. Tutor online
You can teach English to Chinese kids online and earn $14-$22 an hour with VIPKid. Set your own hours, lesson plans are provided for you, and they need more tutors! You can sign up to be a part-time teacher here.
7. Become an editor
If you have a fancy English Degree (or you’re just obsessed with grammar!), this can be a great way to make money in your spare time. You can edit content for websites, blogs, books, news articles, courses, podcasts, and more.
8. Test websites
Companies like UserTesting will pay you to visit websites and apps and give your feedback in a short video. Earn $10 per test you complete!
9. Use Swagbucks for online searches
Swagbucks allows me to earn Amazon gift cards for doing online searches like Google. But you can also earn points for watching online videos, playing games, shopping, and taking surveys.
Your points can be redeemed for cash, gift cards and more! Sign up for Swagbucks to get FREE $5 bonus!
10. Watch kids along with your own
You’re already at home, so why not? I’m sure you must have a few working mom friends that would love it if you watched their little ones!
You can use your experience as a stay-at-home mom to your advantage and earn some income by watching a few additional kids right at home! If you’re interested, you can read how my friend Rosemarie successfully started a home daycare after she quit her job to stay at home with her son.
11. Use Ebates for cash back when you shop online
Whether you spend $200 or $2,000 per month online, you don’t want to leave any money on the table. Using free rebate websites like Ebates is a great way to earn money just for shopping!
They pay you up to 40% free cash back at thousands of stores like Amazon, Walmart, Target, Macy’s and more on whatever you order online!
You can sign up here for Ebates to get your first $10 for FREE!
12. Become a transcriptionist
Transcriptionists earn up to $25 per hour! Get paid to turn audio or video files into text! Some companies worth checking out are Tigerfish and TranscribeMe.
13. Sell on eBay
Collectible items, shoes, jewelry, authentic handbags, and electronics sell extremely well on eBay. You create an account and list your items for free, but eBay will collect a fee for any items that sell.
Check out these tips to learn more about how to make a living selling on eBay.
14. Sell your gift cards
Turn your unused gift cards into cash when you sell them on Cardpool. Cardpool will give you up to 92% cash for any gift card you don’t want (yes – even if it has a weird balance remaining!)
15. Sell on Etsy
Do your friends and family rave about your handmade crafts? From crochet accessories, wedding invitations, custom t-shirts, mugs, and more – you can totally open an Etsy shop and sell your treasures!
Most successful Etsy store owners bring in $1,000 to $2,000 (or more) a month!
Other Ways To Earn Money From Home
Below are some of my most favorite ways to uncover hidden sources for extra cash while sitting in my pajamas.
- Upload your receipts in the Ibotta App – Get free cash back on groceries and more when you upload your receipts inside the app! The average user can earn $20/month – that’s FREE money! Ibotta is free to use and free to join. Sign up here to get a FREE $10 bonus!
- Enter contests and giveaways – There’s no guarantee you’ll win anything. But the more contests you enter, your chances of winning will increase! You may win cash, gift cards, vacations, electronics, food, and more!
- Try InboxDollars – With InboxDollars, I earn cash for taking surveys, reading emails, and watching videos in my spare time. It’s free to use, free to join, and you get a FREE $5 bonus for joining InboxDollars!
- Redeem rewards from your credit card – If you use your credit card a lot, you’ll probably have a ton of reward points. Most credit card companies allow you to redeem points for cash, gift cards, and travel purchases. Just don’t forget to pay off your balance at the end of the month. 😉
- Return your past purchases – If you’re not going to wear it or use it, then you better get your money back!
- Ask for price adjustments – Ever made a purchase and find out it went on sale a week later? You’re not the only one. Thankfully, stores like Walmart, Macy’s, and JCPenney honor price adjustments–meaning they will refund you the difference if an item goes on sale within 30-90 days of your purchase date!
What ideas have you tried for making money?