If you’ve ever thought to yourself, “what can I sell to make extra money?” then you’ve come to the right place.
Maybe you need the extra money to pay a bill, put gas in your car, or to buy groceries this week. Whatever it is, that doesn’t matter to me. I just want to help you do it.
And, a good place to start is to take inventory of the things you already have lying around your house!
I can’t tell you how many times I thought to myself, someone would never buy this, and I end up getting more offers than I can handle.
So don’t EVER underestimate the value of your unwanted stuff.
Where can I sell my stuff?
There are many places you can go to sell your old stuff. These places include:
- Craigslist – a free website that allows you to easily sell your things locally. Just be careful to not get scammed.
- OfferUp – a free app that also allows you to sell your things to people in your area, but it has a built-in messaging system that makes it much easier to communicate with potential buyers.
- Resale Stores – secondhand and thrift stores are always looking for quality goods to buy. They may pay on consignment, cash, or store credit.
- eBay – a free website that allows you to reach thousands of people looking for what you have to offer, but that also means more selling competition so it can be harder to make a quick profit.
- Facebook – you can search for specific selling groups in your city.
- Garage/yard sales – this is a bit old school, but it still works! Hosting a yard sale can be a lot of fun, but keep in mind people are looking for big bargains, so don’t expect to make a lot of money.
- Pawn shops – Before Craigslist, selling your stuff to pawn shops was our only option. Things like jewelry, guns, and other high-value items still sell well.
In case you’re wondering, I primarily use Craigslist, OfferUp, and local resale shops.
So what can I sell to make extra money?
Don’t worry. We’re getting to that part.
I’ve compiled a list below of items you can sell that will make you extra money – you could easily make up to $100 by tomorrow if you’re serious!!
Over the past few years, I’ve sold nearly $10,000 worth of goods – from cars to appliances, clothing, furniture, and more. So I know you can too!
30 Items to sell to make money
1. Clothes you can’t fit into anymore – I’m guilty of it too. I have clothes just hanging in my closet collecting dust. Secondhand stores like Plato’s Closet and Clothes Mentor and ThredUp.com will take your stuff!
2. Gift cards you’ve never used – You don’t have to let it sit in your wallet. That’s such a waste of money! Websites like Cardpool will give you up to 92% cash for the gift cards you don’t want – even if it has a funky balance remaining!
3. Your kids’ old clothes and shoes – Every three months I go through my kids’ closets to get rid of any clothes and shoes they can’t fit. I take them to Once Upon A Child where I get cash for my kid’s stuff!
4. CDs and DVDs you never watch or listen to – Decluttr is the perfect place to sell your movies, music, and video games online. They’ll pay you outright for your CDs and DVDs you don’t want anymore.
5. Books you don’t read – Unless you’re a bookworm, you’ve probably only read a good book once or twice before tossing it on the bookshelf. But you can get cash for the books you don’t want when you sell them on eBay, at resale bookstores, and at Half.com.
6. Breast milk – If you have more breast milk than your little one needs, you can help a mama out and make $60 a day selling your breast milk online! Check out Only The Breast for more details.
7. Photos you’ve taken – iPhone photography is extremely popular these days. You can list your best photos online for sale at websites like Shutterstock and get paid for your work!
8. Domain names you’re not using – Ever bought a domain name for a website that you never used? You can resell them or create websites and sell those, too!
9. Musical instruments
10. Sporting equipment – I’ve sold all of my kid’s little league equipment to Play It Again Sports for extra cash.
11. Artwork and decor in your home – These items sell really well on Craigslist and on Offerup.
12. Appliances you’re going to replace – Before you donate your old appliances, you should try selling them on Craigslist. We’ve sold a washer & dryer set, fridge, and stove for $1,000!
13. Outdoor furniture – Outdoor patio sets, grills, and others are a great money maker on Craigslist.
14. Kids bedroom furniture – When your kids outgrow their bed, tables, and chairs, you can sell them and use the money you make to buy bigger furniture!
15. Designer handbags and shoes – Designers like Coach, Michael Kors, Louis Vuitton and more can make you a lot of money on sites like eBay and Poshmark.
16. Old cell phones and electronics – Gazelle is a great place to trade-in your smartphones and devices for cash. They will even pay for you to ship your stuff!
17. Holiday decorations you don’t need – Even old wedding decor.
18. Things around your house you don’t need – Think small kitchen appliances, gardening tools, storage bins, and more!
19. Handmade crafts – If you love making quilts or crocheting, you can sell your handmade items on Etsy!
20. Your baking – Sell your baked good to your friends, family, and around the neighborhood!
21. Collectible items
22. Your couponing stack
23. Toys and bicycles your kids don’t play with
24. Things in your storage unit – Stop paying to store these items and sell them instead!
25. Your expertise – You can start a blog, tutor kids online, teach a class, or answer paid surveys all in your spare time.
26. Return past purchases – Now I’m really bad at this, but you can even ask for price adjustments on recent purchases, too!
27. Recycle plastic, cans, and scrap metal – Visit Earth911.com to find a recycling center in your area.
28. Formal attire you won’t wear again – Poshmark is the best place to sell your fashion.
29. Strollers and other baby gear – My favorite place to sell these items is at kids resale and consignment stores.
30. Jewelry – You can sell any jewelry you don’t want to a pawn shop or on eBay.
How to actually make money fast
Now that you know what items to sell to make money, here are a few bonus tips to help you succeed at selling your stuff online:
- Post a clear picture of your items – People buy with their eyes first. So you should include as many pictures as necessary.
- Clearly state what you’re selling in the headline – The longer your headline the better. You want to provide just enough information so they know you have exactly what they’re looking for.
- Add specific details, but keep it short. And, be honest if there any flaws – People love it when you’re honest so don’t think that by being honest you will hurt your chances of making a sale (you actually increase it!)
- Research to see what prices your stuff normally sell for – But don’t be afraid to be a little competitive here either. Remember, you’re trying to make money…not give it away.
- Bundle or lot your items together – For example, if you have used children’s clothes and toys, sell those in one lot to make more money!
- Always have someone with you – This is a risky business and it’s just better to be safe than sorry. It’s also a good idea to do the exchange of goods in daylight at a public place. I wouldn’t advise having strangers show up to your house unless it makes sense, so just use your better judgment.
- ONLY accept cash – this is a MUST. There are so many scammers out there that will try to convince you with some sob story to let them wire you funds. Never accept anything other than cash on hand. And be careful of people that try to negotiate you down to pennies. When that happens, just politely decline and wait for your next offer to roll in.
So there you have it! With this list of ideas plus additional selling tips, you’ll be able to make some extra money in no time!
What used items have you sold to make money?